Total Pageviews

Monday, November 8, 2010

Pop Culture Highlight: Twelve Feminist Films

First of all, we can't call this anywhere near an exhaustive list. These are just thirteen of my favorite movies that feature women in strong, positive roles and/or highlight an issue that particularly impacts women. I've provided my favorite lines and themes from each and a ratings guide for parents and kids.

1. Thelma and Louise

Rated R (sexuality, sexual assault, violence, language)

Best things about it: Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, rockin' soundtrack, and a young Brad Pitt.

Themes: Sisterhood, loyalty, friendship, violence against women.

Favorite lines: "You said you 'n' me was gonna get out of town and for once just really let our hair down. Well darlin', look out 'cause my hair is comin' down!"

"I don't ever remember feeling this awake."



2. Girl, Interrupted
Rated R (language, sexuality, violence, abuse, adult themes involving mental illness)

Best things about it: Angelina Jolie (who steals the movie right out from under Ryder), the 1960's era backdrop, the fact that it's based on a true story.

Themes: Mental illness, career goals, education, social class, eating disorders, and relationships.

Favorite lines: "If I could have any job, I'd be a professional Cinderella."
"You know, taking us for ice creams in a blizzard... makes you wonder who the real whack jobs are."



3. Whip It!
Rated PG13 (Language, sensuality)

Best things about it: Ellen Page, roller skates, glorious soundtrack, and the fact that (spoiler alert) she doesn't end up with the guy at the end of the movie because that's not the point.

Themes: Mother/daughter relationships, education, beauty, societal expectations, femininity, and honesty.

Favorite lines: "We deserve better villains."
"Be your own hero."



4. Mona Lisa Smile
Rated PG13 (adult themes, language, sexuality)

Best things about it: All-star cast including Julia Roberts, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Kirsten Dunst, Julia Stiles, the beautiful 1950's costuming,

Themes: Marriage, career, education, social class, censorship, art, expectations, teachers, the sexual revolution.

Quotes: "I've heard her called a quitter for leaving and aimless wanderer. But not all who wander are aimless, especially those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image. I'll never forget you."

"When your courses are set and a dreamboat you've met, have a real cigarette! Have a Camel!" I've got my courses, I've got my Camel cigarette. Where the hell is my dreamboat?

"Women need heroes, Katherine."



5. The Magdalene Sisters
Rated R (Violence, sexuality, sexual assault, language, frightening adult themes)

Best things about it: Ireland, based on true story (very, very sad true story), the incredible acting.

Themes: Hypocrisy, religion, sexual violence, victim-blaming, unplanned pregnancy, shame and guilt, revenge, freedom, escape, and overcoming oppression.

Favorite lines: "For many years, more years than I care to remember, I have had a secret love. In fact not just one, but dozens. Since I have been thirteen years old I have been in love... with the films."




6. Erin Brockovich
Rated R (Language, some sexuality)

Best things about it: Based on a true story, inspiring to the nth degree, funny, and really exciting.

Themes: Fighting injustice, the underdog, social class, single mothers, big business, education, and career.

Favorite lines: "For the first time in my life, I got people respecting me. Please, don't ask me to give it up."

"Are you going to be something else that I have to survive? Because... to tell you the truth... I'm not up to it."

"NOT PERSONAL! That is my WORK, my SWEAT, and MY TIME AWAY FROM MY KIDS! IF THAT IS NOT PERSONAL, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!"



7. Waitress
Rated PG13 (Sensuality, language)

Best things about it: Keri Russell's feisty southern accent voice-over, Nathan Fillon as a doctor, and all of the different pies they describe throughout the script.

Themes: Marriage, motherhood, talent, spousal abuse, expectations, pregnancy, and true love.

Favorite lines: "I don't want you to save me. I don't need to be saved."

"I could find the whole meaning of life in those sad eyes."

"Pregnant Miserable Self Pitying Loser Pie... Lumpy oatmeal with fruitcake mashed in. Flambé, of course."

"If I had a penny for everything I love about you, I would have many pennies."



8. The Princess and the Frog
Rated G (one slightly scary scene for young children)

Best things about it: Finally, an African-American Disney Princess! Also, great music, the Louisiana Cajun culture, jaw-dropping animation, and a wonderful re-telling of a classic fairytale. Perfect for kids!

Themes: Heroism, sacrifice, family, talent, dreams, hard work, selflessness, true love, and good overcoming evil.

Favorite lines: "I didn't even know frogs had lips. How 'bout a nice firm handshake?"

"'And we talk too.' I like that! You are secretly funny."



9. Changeling
Rated R (Disturbing images involving children, crime violence, language, adult themes)

Best thing about it: Angelina Jolie. She absolutely makes this movie. Not only is she visually radiant but her vocal quality in this film is just outstanding. Also, love the 1920's backdrop, particularly in costuming.

Themes: Crime, single mothers, kidnapping, career, social class, fighting corruption, mental illness, abuse of women, the justice system, and hope.

Favorite lines: "I used to tell Walter, 'Never start a fight... but always finish it.' I didn't start this fight... but by God, I'm going to finish it."



10. Ella Enchanted
Rated PG (Slight language, crude humor)

Best things about it: Fun new take on the fairy tale model, clever jokes, wonderful film for kids and adults, fun covers of classic songs (Queen's "Somebody to Love," and Elton John's "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," for example).

Themes: Obedience, free will, sacrifice, true love, social equality, leadership, courage, father/daughter relationships, creativity, talent, and loyalty.

Favorite lines: "May I recommend our newest procedure? Bat feces and oxen blood. Battox!"

"I would have left her ages ago, except I love her so damn much. Plus, I have no legs."

"You can curtsy or not; that's your choice. There's nothing I can do about it... except have you beheaded, but that seems a bit extreme."

"Look to yourself, Ella. What's inside you is stronger than any spell."



11. The Hours
Rated PG13 (Suicide, language, disturbing images)

Best things about it: Based on a wonderful book, includes three time periods and an exquisite Virginia Woolf, courtesy of Nicole Kidman. Kidman, Streep, and Moore star.

Themes: Expectations, health, relationships, career, motherhood, friendship, dying, suicide, abortion, depression, creativity, writing, identity, and independence.

Favorite lines: "You cannot find peace by avoiding life, Leonard."

"That is what we do. That is what people do. They stay alive for each other."

"The thought of this life, that's what kept me going. I had an idea of our happiness."

"A woman's whole life in a single day. Just one day. And in that day her whole life."



12. Penelope
Rated PG (Language, crude humor)

Best things about it: James McAvoy, Penelope's bedroom (the set designer was a genius), drinking beer from under a scarf, and the butler wearing sneakers.

Favorite lines: "I felt the rush of a thousand heartbreaks."

"But this isn't me, the real me is inside here somewhere just waiting to get out and you can make that happen and once the curse is broken I'll be just like anybody else."

No comments:

Post a Comment